TARGET is known for its great beauty buys, but some may be better than others, according to a beauty expert.
According to a TikToker, who is also a dermatologist, there are two products under $35 to avoid because she claims they don’t actually help your skin.
The skin expert said, in her opinion, these are things a dermatologist would never use.
Here’s what she had to say about each.
1. Collagen Peptides
The one that Dr. Lindsey highlighted was from vital proteins and retails for $29.99.
She claimed there was “no strong evidence that it helps – better to get collagen from food”.
The description on Target’s website says it promotes:
- youthful appearance
- Skin elasticity
- Skin hydration
- Healthy joints and bones
- Hair and nail support
But there’s a disclaimer that says “these statements have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration.”
It also states that suggested use is for ages 18 and older.
2. Bio-oil care oil
That’s the next thing she shot down. The price of the product varies from $5.99 to $34.49although the price on the shelf of his store marked it at $17.39.
The product description on Target’s website says so:
- IMPROVES THE APPEARANCE OF SCARS AND HELPS REMOVAL STRETCH MARKS – Clinically proven and recommended by dermatologists to help repair skin damage and scars from pregnancy, surgery, injury, acne, C-section, aging, etc.
- CAREFULLY FORMULATED NATURAL BODY OIL – Vitamin E helps maintain healthy-looking skin while natural chamomile and lavender oil calms, soothes and cleanses damaged skin with anti-inflammatory protection. The unique Purcellin Oil reduces the thickness of the formula and makes application easy and absorption fast.
- LOCK IN ESSENTIAL MOISTURE WITHOUT CLOGGING PORES – Bio-Oil Skincare Oil is a uniquely formulated, non-greasy body oil that hydrates pure skin and helps retain essential moisture. Helps repair scars without clogging pores.
- HELPS SMOOTH Uneven Skin Tones – This cool skincare and dark spot corrector works naturally with your skin’s texture and rhythm to help improve the look of your uneven skin tones for fair skin and dark.
- FORMULATED FOR ALL SKIN TYPES – Helps soften skin and repair damage for all skin types, tones, textures and areas.
The skin expert received over 13,500 likes on her post and over a hundred comments.
Some were flattering, like this one: “Can you make it a series.”
But others disagreed with some of the products she named, saying they worked well for them.
“The organic oil helped my stretch marks,” one follower said.
The doctor replied, “Great. But the studies don’t support it.”
Another said “strong evidence or not that collagen peptide powder made my skin plump and glowing”.
And a poster was just confusing, displaying “I saw a different derm on tik tok recommending Bio Oil now I don’t know what to believe lol.”
The skin expert admitted that if a product worked for some, they could “maintain it, no harm in doing so, but not enough evidence for me to recommend it”.
The Sun has contacted Target for comment.
Here’s more about an $8 beauty product from Amazon that one user says makes you look 20 years younger.
Plus, Walmart beauty finds for just three cents that make great gift ideas.