Sean Penn’s wife Leila George files for divorce
A year after their intimate pandemic marriage, Sean Penn and Leila George are stopping.
The Australian actress – who is also the daughter of Law and order actor Vincent D’Onofrio – made their separation official on Friday, filing documents in Los Angeles Superior Court, as first reported TMZ. The couple dated for four years before tying the knot in July 2020 in a small family ceremony surrounded by family. Penn confirmed the big news days later during an appearance on Late night with Seth Meyers. Asked about their wedding rumors, the actor raised his left hand to show off his wedding ring, recounting Meyers, “We had a COVID marriage. By that I mean he was a county commissioner on Zoom, we were at home, my two kids and his brother, and we did it that way.
While Penn and George have been dating since 2016, a friend said People in August that they met in early 2020 after a period of intermittence. The source explained: “They got together and then they broke up, and Sean won her back. He realized he had made a mistake and when he felt he was in danger of losing her, he worked hard to get her back. They added that their time alone together in quarantine had helped to strengthen their bond and they found a new purpose by working together on humanitarian initiatives, like setting up COVID-testing sites. 19 around Los Angeles. “They got back together during COVID and got really close and got engaged a few months ago, in their early forties,” they said.
This is George’s first marriage and Penn’s third. He was previously married to Madonna from 1985 to 1989 and Robin wright from 1996 to 2010. He also has two children from his marriage to Wright, a 30 year old daughter, Dylan, and a 28 year old son, Hopper.
More great stories from Vanity Show
– Inside Anthony Bourdain’s ubiquitous relationship
– The tortured history of the Royal Spare
– Behind the timeless wedding dress of Carolyn Bessette-Kennedy
– Gabby Petito and the nauseating effects of real crime in real time
– Real housewives and the anti-vaxxer
– Love is a crime: The rise and fall of Walter Wanger Cleopatra
– Shop for Meghan Markle’s New York travel looks
– R. Kelly’s guilty verdict had been in the works for almost 30 years
– Archives: Carolyn Bessette-Kennedy, the private princess
– Subscribe to “The Buyline” to receive a list of fashion, book and beauty shopping in a weekly newsletter.